Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Sickies

If you remember my post from Labor Day weekend last year, we were really sick. This year was no exception.
Thursday night Rowan came down with a fever. I figured it might be due to the fact that his top two teeth finally broke through. He had a cough too though and started throwing up Friday morning. We stayed home most of the day and by the time Marsh came home from work I was ready to get out. Chandler seemed to be doing better from his ear infections so I figured I would take him swimming at the city center and leave Rowan home with Marsh. Chandler was super excited and so I proceeded to start making some dinner so we could eat before we went. Chan went and laid on the floor and I thought it was somewhat weird. Just then he stood up and starting throwing up all over his blanket. Then he looked at me and said, "swimmin?" Yeah right - the only swimming he got was the bath tub. We put him in the tub and after he got out he started throwing up again. At one point he swallowed it back down and said, "Lemmy!" (Yummy) Gag. Yet another time he swallowed some of it back down and said, "Good boy!" Guess he doesn't understand the throwing up thing.
3 pairs of pajamas later he went to bed. At about 2 in the morning Chandler woke me up saying he needed a drink. He gets really thirsty at night and usually will chug a glass of water. I got him a drink and went to put him back to bed. He wouldn't get back in his bed and kept saying, "stinky poop, stinky poop" I turned the light on and he had thrown up all over his bed. I reminded myself to breathe through my mouth and started a load of laundry. Rowan was also up every hour coughing, throwing up and wouldn't nurse. I've decided there's nothing worse when you see your children sick and there's nothing you can do about it but try to care and comfort them and hope that it goes away soon. I am glad that Rowan made it 7 1/2 months without getting sick. Saturday we laid low and stayed home the whole day.

Sunday I opted to stay home from church with Rowan since he still wasn't doing great. Marsh and Chan went to sacrament meeting and then went home. Marsh also had to go early to church to talk with someone in the bishopric, aka a calling. My bet was that he was going to be called to be a teacher of some sort - probably gospel doctrine. He makes some awesome comments and is a wonderful teacher. He came home and asked what I thought his new calling was....I was right :) He's a substitute teacher for gospel doctrine.
We laid low the rest of Sunday as Marshall now is congested, has a sore throat and a nasty cough. He'd also lost his voice last week.
I started feeling a little funny when I went to bed Sunday night. I started tossing and turning as my stomach started to get the best of me and I had horrible chills. The rest of the night I spent on the toilet with a throw up bucket in my hands. More info than you all want to know but I want you to feel my pain ;) I did manage to take 3 baths and completely rid myself of everything in my body. I finally fell asleep at about 4:30 - only to sleep for about an hour and a half, wake up and replay the whole thing again. I asked Marshall for a blessing and he only got halfway through before I had to dart for my trusty "popcorn" bowl which was serving a different purpose that night. He went to get me some medicine at about 8 and I finally stopped throwing up. I can't believe how sore I was yesterday - my legs and lower back from throwing up so hard and so much. I don't think I've been that sick for quite a while. I had to take a good dose of Motrin and sleep with a heating pad last night as my back ached too bad to sleep. Today is better. I still feel weak and find myself getting winded just picking up our apartment but it is getting better. I have no idea where we picked up all this crud. We were planning on going hiking yesterday and were excited about Marshall's day off. Instead we spent it in our pajamas.
My boys are still super congested with coughs and I feel a little bit of a sinus infection coming on. It's an understatement that I'm grateful to be healthy most of the time. I'm not looking forward to Labor Day next year.


The Bluths said...

Yuck! I hope this goes away soon. Gavin hasn't gotten sick yet (knock on wood). I've had a sore throat that turned into congestion that turned into a cough with phlem this past week. ugh

S. Fantasia said...

Oh yuck! I HATE throwing up and hate, even more, when the boys throw up. Uck! Eli hasn't had a flu yet but we've all had some nasty sinus-infection type cold lately. I have to say, I'll take the cold over whatever you guys just had.

Hang in there. :o)
Did you email me your address? If not, please do.

Jeralee said...

wow, that sounds like it was a lot of fun. That is at least 5 lbs. of weight loss for sure. The only thing good to come of stomach flu.

Get better!

David and Melissa Belnap said...

Oohh! I hate it when little people are sick...even worse when mom is sick!! As a mom, its not like you can call in sick!!! I am sorry for you! I hope you all get feeling better soon!

Janaca said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your FUN labor day!! That sounds absolutely awful. I hate being sick and having sick kids. I hope you are all over it or will be soon! Let me know if you need anything.

Sara Birch said...

What a way to spend Labor Day! Hope you all are feeling better. Hopefully we'll see you sometime next week.

Tyson and Emily said...

I think that post just made me sick...what descriptions! J/K, Hope you get feeling better. Your boys look a lot a like, what cuties! I made a blog, so here's our address- www.tysonemily.blogspot.com